About Coleg Cambria's Job Shop
Cambria Job Shop is available on all Cambria sites and is a service to support the employability skills of all students at Cambria. This “employability service” is vital in our students progressing into careers after studying at Cambria.
Through the Job Shop, employers can advertise job vacancies both full and part-time, apprenticeships and voluntary work aiding their recruitment process. The Job Shop is continually promoting progression opportunities; not only for our students but the local community and beyond.
Studying – Level 3 Enhanced Engineering (Pathway to Apprenticeships)
Currently – Maintenance Engineering Apprentice at ConvaTec
When I started on my full time course I attended a “Work Experience Showcase event” in the first week at Coleg Cambria, which was organised by the Cambria for Business Job Shop team, which is where I met the Engineering Manager of Convatec and started to learn more about the company and what they did.
The event I attended was really useful because I was able to speak to so many different companies and representatives to help figure out which ones I would like to apply for an apprenticeship with.
My work experience really helped me gauge not only the work ethic within the company but also what it would be like to work there. This really aided in me making the extra effort and trying to make myself as employable as possible.
At the Job Shop our team host multiple careers events each academic year, inviting local and regional employers and supporting organisations to all Cambria sites. Here, Employers meet with students across our curriculum areas, often leading to the offer of work experience. Apprenticeships and long term job opportunities. In addition to this, employers are welcomed to site to deliver “Spotlight Sessions” to promote their businesses, brands and opportunities, again raising awareness with students and supporting recruitment processes.
This added-value service commenced in April 2019 and continues to be an essential part of student support here at Cambria. Due to the Welsh Government focus on employability skills through the Young Person’s Guarantee; Job Shop meets the expectations nationally of the young person’s employability agenda.
Why Work With The Job Shop?
Talk to the team
Contact our team to find out more about apprenticeships, courses, funding and much more!
0300 30 30 006
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Hiring an apprentice is a productive and effective way to grow talent and develop a motivated, skilled and qualified workforce.
- 86% of employers said apprenticeships helped them develop skills relevant to their organisation
- 78% of employers said apprenticeships helped them improve productivity
- 74% of employers said apprenticeships helped them improve the quality of their product or service.
Other benefits of working with apprentices include:
- You can adapt their training according to the needs of your business
- You can assist in the development of apprentices “softer skills” and share your company values and beliefs
- They’re motivated to learn new skills
- You can expand and upskill your workforce.
- Create a job description suited to the audience
- Include details of the career pathway, benefits, working hours and pay etc.
- Email Employers@cambria.ac.uk or call 0300 30 30 006 to share
- Complete Careers Wales Apprenticeship Vacancy Service document (provided by the Employers team)
- We will advertise on your behalf via our Cambria Job Shop portal, Careers Wales website and directly with students here at Cambria
- Always use other Job Boards to “spread the word”.
You can post your job vacancy here – https://web.cambria.ac.uk/job-shop/post-a-job/.
A work experience placement is a temporary opportunity supported or organised by Coleg Cambria, which allows students to gain work experience alongside their study or are looking for employment in a specific field to gain practical experience – and find out what it’s really like to work in a sector.
Some of the many benefits of offering work experience are:
- You can get ahead of the competition by bringing enthusiastic people with their fresh ideas into your business before they get on to the job ladder
- Working with trainees will give established staff members the chance to develop their skills in mentoring and coaching young people
- You can “test before you invest” if you are in the position to recruit a new apprentice or employee
- Work experience can improve your recruitment process
- Hiring learners through Cambria builds community relationships.
Fill in the form at the bottom of this page – https://www.cambria.ac.uk/employers/job-shop/.