Laboratory & Science Technicians
- Apprenticeship Information for Employers
- Contact Us
The NVQ is an occupational competence qualification that will assess learners knowledge and skills to work as a laboratory technician within a range of environments.
The qualification contains mandatory units covering generic knowledge and skills including health and safety, and ecient working relationships.
Optional units cover areas such as testing, sampling, stock control, preparing resources and equipment, and providing technical support.
There are no prerequisites to achieve these qualifications other than experience and training within the workplace.
Certificate in Laboratory Technical Skills
• Laboratory Health, Safety and Environmental Practices (4 credits) Guided learning time – 27 hours
• Managing Operations within the Laboratory (3 credits) Guided learning time – 21 hours
• Advanced Laboratory Procedures (8 credits) Guided learning time – 60 hours
2 Optional Units:
• Biological and Biochemical Laboratory Techniques (5 credits) Guided learning time – 42 hours
• Chemical laboratory techniques (5 credits) Guided learning time – 42 hours
- Written and practical exercises
- 2.5 hour exam
The course will be delivered on one day a week over 35 weeks in a dedicated, modern laboratory on the Deeside site of Coleg Cambria which is fully equipped to meet the needs of learners on this course. The delivery of the scientific content will be based around practical activities that will develop understanding of relevant knowledge and its application.